Collected news about events and trends affecting the condition of destinations around the world—for better or worse.
- Bitter Battle Over Baikal Tourism Development | CNN
Who cares for Russia's “sacred lake”?
- Taming Crowds at Milford Sound | Stuff (NZ)
- Damming Uganda's Murchison Falls – Taking Green Too Far? | Prio
- Invest in a Future Free From Overtourism | Maui News
- The New Overtourism Debate | Travel Weekly
Pushback against crowds is taking hold – at what cost?
- Finally, Venice Bans Cruise Ships | CNN
- Amsterdam Debates Tourism Reflation | NYTimes
Sex, drugs, and short-term rentals
- Farmers Team Up With Airbnb | Queensland Country Life
- Post-Pandemic Tourism Needs New Metrics | Skift
Beyond arrivals and GDP
- Florida Likely To Overrule Key West's Ban on Megaships | Washington Post
So much for letting communities manage their cruise tourism.
- Pandemic Prompts Sustainability Travel Trend | Washington Post
DSC gets a brief mention.
- Dirty Tourism Threatens Lake Baikal | Third Pole
- Maui Islands Look to Redefine Tourism | Eturbo
Moving to management from mere marketing.
- Florence Plans New Solution to Overtourism | CNN
To disperse the crowds, disperse the museum.
- Tourism Braces for Slow Rebound | WSJ
- Locals Fear Repeat Alaska Cruise Hiatus | Washington Post
- USA: New Natl Park Nod for WV | Washington Post
Locals divided on New River Gorge uplift.
- Vanuatu Plans GSTC-Sustainable Tourism Recovery | IISD
- VisitScotland Joins "Tourism Declares a Climate Emergency" | S China Morning Post
First national tourism board to do so.
- Maldivians Blast Eco-Reckless Resorts | Raajje
Note: We route our news feed via Pinboard. If you see an error message, the Pinboard server may be temporarily down. Just try again later.