Collected news about events and trends affecting the condition of destinations around the world—for better or worse.
- Nantucket Locals War Over Vacation Rentals | WSJ
STR issue polarizes U.S. island
- Fresh Start for Overcrowded Europe? | DW
- Hawaiians Want Fewer Tourists | Star-Advertiser
- Sri Lanka Disaster Ruins Coast, Beaches | Guardian
- Sustainable Tourism Gains Ground in 20+ Countries | Yahoo Finance
Scandinavia tops, says Euromonitor report
- Indonesia's Lombok Project Draws Fire | UN News
- Eyeing Tourism, Ukraine Seeks World Heritage Listing for Chernobyl | Newsweek
- Nepal's Rhinos Increased As Tourism Decreased | WSJ
- Bitter Battle Over Baikal Tourism Development | CNN
Who cares for Russia's “sacred lake”?
- Taming Crowds at Milford Sound | Stuff (NZ)
- Damming Uganda's Murchison Falls – Taking Green Too Far? | Prio
- Invest in a Future Free From Overtourism | Maui News
- The New Overtourism Debate | Travel Weekly
Pushback against crowds is taking hold – at what cost?
- Finally, Venice Bans Cruise Ships | CNN
- Amsterdam Debates Tourism Reflation | NYTimes
Sex, drugs, and short-term rentals
- Farmers Team Up With Airbnb | Queensland Country Life
- Post-Pandemic Tourism Needs New Metrics | Skift
Beyond arrivals and GDP
- Florida Likely To Overrule Key West's Ban on Megaships | Washington Post
So much for letting communities manage their cruise tourism.
- Pandemic Prompts Sustainability Travel Trend | Washington Post
DSC gets a brief mention.
- Dirty Tourism Threatens Lake Baikal | Third Pole
Note: We route our news feed via Pinboard. If you see an error message, the Pinboard server may be temporarily down. Just try again later.