Ways We Can Help
The Destination Stewardship Center is all about providing knowledge for improving the interaction between tourism and care for destinations, with special emphasis on protecting and enhancing the authenticity of your place. We can help your community manage tourism so as to ensure maximum benefit at minimum cost while sustaining and enhancing local natural, cultural, historic, and scenic heritage.
By means of workshops, webinars, onsite evaluations and presentations, training sessions, and project-development consulting, DSC Director Jonathan Tourtellot and our various associates and partners can provide information on an array of ways to improve destination stewardship in your country, region, or locale, especially the start-up phase of establishing a collaborative approach.
• Collaboration How-To – Step by step methods for convening a destination stewardship council, customized for your locale, by DSC Director Jonathan Tourtellot and associates about ways to achieve better care for a destination and management of tourism. (Fees vary; free for deserving cases.)
• Measurement – Rapid self-assessment tool for destinations with emphasis on character of place in addition to customary environmental and social sustainability factors.
• Action – Information on catalytic projects for advancing the process of building a destination stewardship council and approaches for its long-term viability.
• Cartography – A participatory mapping approach pioneered at National Geographic for raising awareness of a destination’s endemic attributes, useful both for tourist information and residential appreciation.
• Outreach – Opportunity to place your story in the Destination Stewardship Report (free) read by fellow practitioners around the world. Contact us with a proposal.
• Media training – Ways to improve storytelling about your destination, presented by DSC Director Jonathan Tourtellot based on his three decades of editorial experience at National Geographic and additional years elsewhere.
• Videography – Behind-the-scenes videos for all audiences about your destination and the process of conserving its natural, scenic, and cultural character.
• Consulting – Assistance with destination stewardship in general.
Free information resources on this website:
• Archive of all Destination Stewardship Report stories. You are invited to contribute by contacting us.
• Stewardship Resource directories. Add your own listing by contacting us.
As a founding member of the Future of Tourism Coalition, we can bring to bear many of our partners’ services and tools as well.
About Jonathan Tourtellot
CEO, Destination Stewardship Center; Editor, Destination Stewardship Report; Principal, Focus on Places LLC; founding Director, former Nat Geo Center for Sustainable Destinations