Ways We Can Help
The Destination Stewardship Center is all about providing knowledge. DSC Director Jonathan Tourtellot and our various volunteers, associates, and partners can provide an array of ways to improve destination stewardship in your country, region, or locale, with emphasis on the start-up phase of establishing a collaborative approach for enhancing the interaction between tourism and care for the destination. The overall goal is to ensure maximum benefit at minimum cost for destination communities while protecting and enhancing for natural, cultural, historic, and scenic heritage.
• Collaboration How-To – Step by step methods for convening a destination stewardship council, offered by workshop, webinar, or onsite evaluation and presentation. Includes speeches and presentations, customized for your locale, by DSC Director Jonathan Tourtellot and others about ways to achieve better care for a destination. (Fees vary; free for deserving cases.)
• Measurement – Rapid self-assessment tool for destinations with emphasis on character of place in addition to customary environmental and social sustainability factors.
• Action – Catalytic projects for advancing the process of building a destination stewardship council and approaches for its long-term viability.
• Videography – Behind-the-scenes videos for all audiences about your destination and the process of conserving its natural, scenic, and cultural character.
• Cartography – A participatory mapping approach pioneered at National Geographic for raising awareness of a destination’s endemic attributes, useful both for tourist information and residential appreciation.
• Media training – Ways to improve storytelling about your destination.
• Consulting – Assistance with destination stewardship in general.
Free information on this website:
As a founding member of the Future of Tourism Coalition, we can bring to bear many of our partners’ services and tools as well.