[Above: Tourists admire a vista in the Azores, a 2016 Sustainable Destinations Top 100 winner. Photo: Jonathan Tourtellot]
Apply or Nominate Now!
For the third time, the Sustainable Destinations Top 100 competition is organised by Green Destinations in cooperation with 20 other international organisations for sustainable tourism, including the Destination Stewardship Center. The aim of the competition is to highlight success stories in destination management, and to exchange good practices between destinations. Selection involves formal nomination by destination ambassadors and evaluation by a panel of some 100 international experts.
The new Top 100 will be unveiled at Global Green Destinations Day, 28-29 September 2017, in the framework of Greenfest Cascais, Portugal. Greenfest is one of the world’s largest events on sustainable development, and this time one of the topics is “Green Destinations”.
The 2017 Sustainable Destinations Top 100 will build upon the results of the 2016 Top 100 competition “Destinations of Future Generations”, a follow-up to the 2014 Top 100 and a successor to National Geographic Traveler’s Destination Stewardship surveys 2004-2010
Top 100 candidates are destinations that are dedicated to the following GREEN values:
• Genuine and authentic: supporting the celebration of local culture and tradition;
• Responsible: defending people against exploitation and human rights violation, and enhancing accessibility for people with disabilities;
• Economically sustainable: involving the local business community and enhancing local community employment during and beyond the holiday season;
• Environmentally sustainable: ensuring public health, safety, and sound environmental management;
• Nature & scenery: protecting scenic views, habitats, and wildlife, and respecting animals that are used in tourism.
How to apply or nominate:
Destinations dedicated to these values are encouraged to register now for the 2017 Top 100 competition. You can download the forms from http://greendestinations.org
Deadline for Registration (the nomination form): 3 July 2017.
Deadline for Sustainability Indicators Form: 17 July 2017
We hope to notify winning destinations by mid August.